Trucks are a very important tool of business for industries of all sizes. Commercial trucks are capable of transporting goods in large batches. So with the increasing number of commerce and industries, there are a lot of trucks transporting tons of goods every day.
But problems come with the usefulness also. And the major problem about trucks is fatal accidents. And truck accidents are way more dangerous than passenger car accidents.
If you had an accident where a commercial truck was at negligence, then you must get an accident attorney and file a case. But remember that it’s not always the driver you are after. Because accidents can cause from a heavy weight the truck was carrying in a slippery road, just an example though. But if you are sure that the accident was the result of someone’s negligence then filing a lawsuit is compulsory to get proper recovery.
What to Do
If you are a victim of a truck accident then go through the following:
- Get medical attention. This is your top priority.
- Try to find out the reason behind the accident. If you think you were not the one responsible for the accident then carry out the rest of the steps.
- Collect necessary information and evidences. This may include photographs, newspaper articles, your damage records and hospital bills, etc.
- If there was any witness to the accident, then collect their names and numbers. Make sure to verify the contact information because you will need to contact them for the case.
- Get a personal injury attorney. And discuss about the accident and your rights with only with him/her.
An attorney will carry out basically everything to protect you and get you your rights.
Outcome of a Truck Accident Case
There might be several responsible parties for a single accident. In truck accident cases both the driver and Truck Company can be held responsible if they had any negligence.
Outcome of accident cases are determined by the damages it caused to you. And they can be both economical and uneconomical. As example, a truck accident can cause you physical damage like cuts and bruises, or maybe broken bones in serious cases. But if it was a collision with your car then the repair cost of the car will be added with the total damage as well. And then you can claim that amount from the defendant. You may also get a structured settlement if the accident was serious. In that case you will receive a certain amount for a certain period of time.
In the end, all I can say is that, never lose hope after an accident. “If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door” – just like Milton Berle said. It can be real terrifying to face any accident. But don’t let the fear take over you and fight for your rights.