Where there is an injury, there are damages for sure! Well fate is almost out of our control and can’t be predicted. Almost everybody wants to stay out of trouble. But every now and then people are getting hurt from both natural and other reasons.
But are all damages same? They are not. Damages are classified as following:
- General Damage: These damages can be measured with a value. Such as damage to property.
- Special Damage: It’s not like special damages can’t be measured by value. They can be, but not as precisely as general damages. Such as injuries. Injury damages are calculated through medical expense, missed wages etc. Injuries are defined in two separate categories too:
- Physical Injury: Damage to physical body. Such as cracked bones, twisted ankle etc.
- Mental Injury: Damage to subconscious mind. Such as stress disorders, compulsive disorders etc.
While the categories end here, there are still a lot more to know about personal injury damages. Here are some key facts in brief:
An economic recovery is a great way to recover from general and special damages. There are a few ways they can be recovered economically. Here are some recoveries the victim might be granted of:
- Medical Expenses
- Household Services Expenses
- Lost Wages Recovery
- Expenses for Permanent Disability
This is a set of law which limits non-economic damages recovery amount.This may sound unfair but it actually isn’t. This law actually cuts down expense for the defendants or their insurance company. Serious damages may lead to a big amount of penalties. And this may occur a cycle of costs. So damage cap actually reduces the liability of service providers.
This tough word means claiming and delivering. Replevin is used for revering wrongfully taken personal property. Replevin is applicable for a vast area of circumstances.
Wrongfully taken property is a part of general damages. And replevin is used to claim it back.
Estimating the exact amount of damages is not easy, especially for special damages. So you have to note down whatever expenses you face after the injury. And for special damages, try to rate them in a scale to measure the damages. Damages usually include the following expenses:
- Doctors bill
- Ambulance bill
- Private nurse expense
- Future losses
- Work losses
In the End
“You can’t patch a wounded soul with a Band-Aid.”- That’s what Michael Connelly mentioned. So make sure to get an injury lawyer after an injury to recover how much you can. After all, it’s better to get something instead of nothing.