Metal and science on four wheels, that what my personal definition about personal cars. And the amount of fuss and time cars save us every day is uncountable. Though cars cause a lot of pollution, it is still an unavoidable element of our daily life.
But nothing has unmixed blessings on earth. And cars are no different from them. Besides all other minor problems, car accidents are the main disadvantage. Every day, every hour and every minute car accidents are occurring. Sometimes these accidents are fatal and causing serious injuries.
What to Do after a Car Accident
After you had a car accident, you might not be in condition to take necessary actions. But if you can then go through the following steps:
- Call 911. And wait till the police and ambulance arrives.
- If you are not seriously injured then try to help other victims (if any).
- Don’t flee the site of accident, even if you are at fault.
- Write down about everything happened at the accident.
- Try to find witnesses who can verify it.
- Get a car accident attorney to file a case and deal with it.
Basic Penalties According to Accident Law
- Expired or no license may lead to large amount of cash penalties. Always keep a legal driver’s license.
- Hit and run case penalties can cost you US$1000 or even more if someone got injured. Some courts sentence prison time with that also. So never flee a site of accident.
- If you are found partially at negligence for the accident then you will be charged according to your role in the accident.
- Driving under influence (DUI), of any drugs or alcohol may lead to 5-6 years of prison time along with cash penalties.
- Killing someone with a road accident can lead to lifetime imprisonment if direct evidences are found. Don’t forget that cash penalties will be added with it also.
How Your Attorney Will Help You
The penalties mentioned above can cost you a lot more than money. So get an attorney like I told you earlier. Your attorney will:
- Collect evidence and necessary info about your case.
- File your case in the court.
- Arrange a negotiation with the defendant.
- Get you damage recovery for the accident.
- Defend you even if you confess the crime to him/her.
Lawrence J. Peter once said that, “Speak when you are angry – and you’ll make the best speech you’ll ever regret.” So the one thing you must do in any cases like this is to keep calm.
Author: Charles Riney