Houston is the most dense city of Texas. Currently, it has 71.7 % of lonely drivers moving towards to their destinations. Here, 71.7 % is really a big number of people driving around in the Houston Freeway, which is 739.3 miles long. And car accidents are not anything that shocks the people today. But before getting to step of hiring an accident attorney, let’s deal with the facts first.
Houston Car Accident Statistics
Let’s take a look at the amount of car accidents happened in Houston from 2011 to 2013. The info are referring to Texas Department of Transportation:
- 183 deaths from car accident in Houston and 5885 people injured in 2011
- Number of lives taken enlarged to 193, with 5387 fatal injuries in 2012
- Number of deaths reduced to 188 people in 2013, but still it’s a huge number.
- Overall 7314 fatal car crashes.
And the list continues.
If You Face An Accident…
We often say things like: “I drive like a turtle, what accident may occur to me?”, but you must keep in mind that it may not at all times be your fault if a road accident take place. However, you may be held with serious charges if you do not take the right decisions. So what would you do and what have to be avoided when it come to that?
- Whether you are guilty or clean you are after being involved in a car accident, stop your vehicle immediately. Otherwise you may be charged with hit and run infraction and the hearing may overlook anything else you say.
- Even if the law enforcement workers are friendly, you may still be scared to notify them, supposing them to charge you with anyway. But in reality, it will just make it even worse. So don’t be afraid to call 911, and describe your current situation in details.
- You may feel in shock in these types of situation. However, here are few important things to do: you must stay away from the damaged vehicle, in case it catches fire. Help the injured people unless you are not seriously injured yourself. When the ambulance and paramedics arrive, do your best to help them.
- Don’t hide any evidences from the spot. If you have any reason to belie that you may face charges about the accident, than you can take pictures as evidences.
- Most significantly, get a Houston car accident lawyer. And don’t talk over your position with someone else, particularly in public.
In a few words, misfortunes occur from time to time. Afterwards a misfortune, you may think of a sentence Jennifer Lawrence expressed: “There I am, washed up and powerless to protect myself”. But you have to stay cool and keep an eye on the steps we pointed out, and the law will be at your side.
Author: Stephen Zee (Houston Car Accident Attorney)