Did you know that 70% personal injury claims are about slip and fall? It’s really surprising how small accidents can be a major reason. But it actually is. It simply means to trip on something then fall down. And sometimes the accidents can be fatal also. If someone slips on a wet floor then the person can simply land on his back, and be ok. But a person may also slip on a staircase and fall down. And it can also break a bone or two.
What to do
Try to go through the following steps after a slip and fall case:
- Get medical care.
- Collect information’s about your accident.
- Collect the name and numbers of the witnesses for later.
- Do not involve anyone who is not certified to handle this.
- Get a personal injury attorney.
If you think someone else is responsible for your slip and fall, then you must find proof to charge him or her. Suppose you fell down on a slippery floor of a restaurant. Now the janitor who cleans the floor can be charged with the injury directly, but another customer can’t be. Simple as that, you have to charge someone with a direct cause in the following ways:
- The defendant was at negligence for the condition.
- The defendant was negligent to correct the error.
- In the time of the condition the defendant had the chance to corrected the problem behind the slip and fall injury.
To charge a commercial entity you must prove the following facts, just as charging an individual:
- The entity is responsible for causing the slippery surface in their premises.
- Knowing about the risky environment, the entity did not take necessary actions about it.
- Knowing about the problem, the entity left the responsibility to someone else which caused the accident.
If the slip and fall occurred in a residential property then the victim must show that:
- The owner of the property is directly responsible for the slip and fall.
- The owner was negligent about fixing the problem.
- A serious injury was bound to happen because of the error.
These faults can be hard to prove, so getting a personal injury lawyer is compulsory for these cases. Sometimes we are afraid to take help from the law if we have our own fault in an accident. But personal injury law will protect you even if you think it was partially your fault.
So don’t lose hope after a slip and fall, get help and fight for your rights. And remember what Confucius said, “Our greatest glory is not in ever being fallen, but in rising every time we fall.”