Chicago is a city crawling up with an enormous number of working people. In people’s words it’s a city of international trade, corporate deals and big shiny commercial skyscrapers. Streets of Chicago stay busy from dawn to dusk with cars, pedestrians and public transports. Till 2014 Chicago had the following vehicle statistics:
- 80% people owns personal
- Everyday 95% of the total population uses private or public transportation to get to places
- Daily traffic counts are around 800,000 vehicles
So it’s a big city with big numbers of vehicle driven each day. And Chicago is considered to be the third largest transportation hub in the world. But with a large number of anything, risks come along with it. And it’s not different for a city like Chicago to have a car accident now and then. If you want to see the real deal then have a look at the Chicago’s car accident reports from the last few years:
Chicago Road Accident Statistics
- More than 70% car crashes occur at the urbanized areas.
- Every year around 4000 people walking in the roads gets injured by car accidents.
- Around 20000 people get fatally injured every year.
- Almost 70% fatalities involve passenger cars.
These numbers may not be as large as other cities. But this number shows that a lot of people are getting badly injured due to car crashes. The Chicago City Police Department is trying their best to reduce these numbers. The court also issued some laws to encourage the drivers to drive safe which are as following:
- US$250-US$800 penalty for driving without licenses, expired insurances, not wearing seatbelt etc. minor infractions.
- Cash penalty plus prison time for involvement is major crashes.
- Up to two years of jail just for fleeing accident scenes, involvement in that crime will be charged along with it.
- Cancelation of driver’s license from years to up to life time for involving in car accidents.
To avoid these consequences you must follow some key rules if you do face an accident:
After an Accident:
- Do call 911.
- Do help the others.
- Aid the emergency team when they arrive.
- Get a Chicago car accident attorney if legal support is required.
- Do not hit and run.
- Do not flee the scene of accident.
- Do not provide false statements.
- Do not hide any evidences.
Chicago Car Accident Attorney
So if you do get involved in a car accident case, you should call an attorney without hesitation. Whether you are responsible or not, only an attorney can help you if you get charged.
After an accident the first thing you need is medical care. So your attorney will go through the law process while you can get some rest. Your lawyer will collect info, file a lawsuit and defend you all the way possible. So an attorney is your only hope if you get charged, especially a car accident attorney in Chicago.
Did you know what can be the most important fact after an unpleasant event? No it’s not money, its patience. Be patient and let your lawyer handle it. Because hiring an attorney always increase the chance of winning a case 5 times more than usual. So don’t wait, let the law help. And always drive safe, just not to fell in a situation like that in the first place.
By: Austin Engelward