If you have an accident without your own negligence then what will you do? Of course you will blame the person responsible for that. But instead of what will you do, what if I ask you what can you do? Because you may not have enough options do something like that. Even if you take the shelter of law you won’t be able to do much without the help of a car accident attorney.
But first you must know what can happen if you are charged for a car accident.
Car Accident Law Penalties
- Up to US$1000 fine for not having proper paperwork. This includes driver’s license, insurance papers, identification card etc.
- Up to US$2000 fine and prison time for breaking driving rules and having an accident afterwards. Such as driving under influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Up to US$5000 fine plus prison time in cases of car accident and causing damage to lives or property. This includes hit and run also.
- Penalties with lifetime sentence are also applicable if the accident kills or fatally injures someone.
Now that you know what may happen if you get charged with a car accident case, let me show you how to defend against it. To defend against a car accident case all you have to know is how it acts. And car accident law will go through the following facts.
Who Is Guilty?
Before you can claim anything you have to prove the other party as guilty. You must have proper evidences or witnesses to prove that. But your opponent can do it as well. The defendant can avoid partial or full liability by making his stand in defend it. So you have to hold your place and defend as well.
The Partial Guilt
To figure out fault between the parties, there is a system called the comparative negligence act. It determines how much penalty will be paid by each. If both parties are found guilty then both have to pay penalties according to this act. This can be categorized as:
- Pure comparative negligence.
- Modified comparative negligence.
Contributory Negligence Act
This rule is applicable only in few states. This act can make you avoid the full liability if you can prove that the defendant is solely guilty for the crime.
You must get a car accident lawyer to handle the case. As you know from the above facts how it may work out you won’t have much trouble dealing with it.
Malcolm X mentioned that, “It is not violence when it’s in self defense; I call it intelligence.” So be intelligent, get help, defend yourself, and you will win.