Accidents are unpredictable. You can try to stay focus all the time and I am going to recommend that also. But it may not work all the time. So let’s first tell you a thing or two to about safe driving:
- Do keep a valid driver’s license.
- Always wear your seatbelts.
- Maintain traffic rules.
- Keep your vehicle under scheduled checkup.
- Do not drink before or while driving.
- Do not drive if you are drowsy.
- Do not use or phone.
- Never drive above speed limits.
But if you still get involved in a car crash then you might be too late to get these instructions. All you can do is apply them in the future. The only option you have after an accident is to call a lawyer for legal help. But first let me tell you what charges you may face for being involved in a road accident.
General Car Accident Law
- Always keep a legal driver’s license. Expired or no license may lead to large amount of cash penalties.
- Penalties for hit and run cases can cost you up to US$1000 or even more if someone got injured. Some states sentences prison time with that also. So never flee if you hit someone. Instead try to help.
- If someone else is responsible for the accident but you were found partially at fault than you will be fined partially too.
- Driving under influence (DUI) of any drugs or alcohol may lead to 5-6 years of prison time along with cash penalties.
- Killing someone with a road accident can lead to lifetime imprisonment if direct evidences are found.
So if you are charged with any infractions after a road accident then let the lawsuit process help you with that. Get proper care, hire a car accident lawyer and relax.
How an Attorney Can Help You
Car accident cases run in two different ways. If you are not responsible for the accident then:
- Your attorney will collect necessary evidence to prove who was actually at fault.
- After collecting necessary information an attorney will file your case.
- Then your attorney will arrange a negotiation with you opponent to provide you with structural settlement.
And in case you are guilty and being charged by someone:
- Your attorney will defend you in the court. If no hard evidence was found then you will get a better position in the case.
- He or she will also try to minimize the penalty in case you are charged with any major cause.
Nothing has unmixed blessings on earth. So despite the usefulness of vehicles, we may get hurt if not used properly. An accident can happen anytime to anyone. But instead of blaming your fate or breaking apart, think it straight. Go through the proper legal procedure and an attorney will take your side. And take Albert Einstein’s advice – “We can’t solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them”. So think different, live well.
Author: Stephen Zee