Hollywood celebrity River Phoenix once said that, “I don’t want to die in a car accident. It will probably be a waterfall.” Well nobody wants to die, especially in a car accident. But can you avoid a car accident just because you want to? You can prevent an accident by being cautious. But when it becomes somebody else’s fault, staying cautious don’t cut it.
Each year billions of people die in car accidents globally. But did you know that every day almost 70 people get injured from car crashes in Atlanta? Well that’s not just it, average crashes per day is around 1200 fatalities. You can see more at the Atlanta’s car accident stats to know I am really talking about.
Atlanta Car Crash Statistics: 2013-2015
- Traffic fatalities: almost 25000 each year
- Passenger Vehicle Fatalities: Almost 55% of total fatalities
- 70% drivers involved in fatal crashes aged under 20
- Pedestrian fatalities: almost 10000 each year
- Drunk driver accident: more than 60% of total
- One out of every five accidents involve heavy duty vehicle.
And the leading causes of these fatalities are:
- Unsafe over speeding
- Driving under alcoholic or drug influence
- Disregard to traffic laws
- Driver losing control of vehicle
- Driving in the wrong lanes
- Following another vehicle at close distance
Atlanta Car Accident Penalties
There are certain penalties for roads accidents in Atlanta, Georgia. This is to encourage the drivers to abide the traffic rules. Well road accident penalties in Atlanta can charge you in the following ways:
- Jail: For hit and run and most accident scenarios you may get sentenced to serve time in a prison. Depending on damages you caused this sentence may contain up to 10 years of prison time.
- Cash penalty: Usually the amount of cash penalties for minor accidents is around US$200-US$500. But up to US$10,000 cash penalty is added with jail time for major accident felony in Atlanta.
- Driving License Cancelation: This is also determined by the type of accident. The court may cancel your driver’s license for one year to lifetime.
If you get charged for road accident or want to charge someone else responsible, then you will need to file a lawsuit. And for that you will have to hire an Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer. A car accident lawyer will:
- Collect evidence and witnesses for your case.
- File your case.
- Will try to negotiate with your opponent.
- Get you medical expense or damage penalty.
- Defend you unless no hard evidence is found against you.
You can find a lot of professional law firms in Atlanta who provide free consultancies. And most car accident attorneys won’t even charge you if they do not win the case. But statistics show that the chance of winning a car accident is above 80% if you hire an attorney. So never afraid the law, follow it. And keep your focus on driving in the roads. Drive safe, be safe.
Author: Stephen Zee.